Sunday, December 26, 2010

Rail Ki Kahani, Meri Zubani

As I waited on the platform at the Borivali station awaiting the arrival of the Mumbai-Ahmedabad Shatabadi Express, noticing the flies over the railway tracks, It struck me how enthusiastic people are about travelling by train in India. It was 7am.I was about to travel in India's fastest train in a few moments. They train slowly entered the station bringing in with it that signature smell and a lot of mosquitoes! The train justs topped there for two minutes and I had to make way for noddy(myself) to get into the train, pushing aside the other's who were imitating me ;)
I had 2 bags with my clothes and 3 cartons of the best quality Alphonso mangoes(without which my family wouldn't let me enter my home). Mangoes are a must for my family whenever I come from Mumbai. But I must also say that my maternal side makes good use of those mangoes. They store the pulp for the year, make Aamras, Mango shakes, Dishes, raw and what not!
'Sumhow', I managed to reach my designated seat after winning my war with the ever rowdy crowd, and settled on my chair. An assortment of newspapers and magazines was lying lined up in front of me for MY entertainment. I just picked up a TOI and glanced through the Bombay version, to accompany my reading session, the waiter/rail purser/you choose appropriately brought in d trolley and asked me if I wanted coffee. Why in world would I ever refuse a cup of coffee? By the time I was done wid my old age style of reading the newspaper and sipping my coffee, I was deep in the countryside with distant huts and nearby fields clearly visible.
My huge window gave me a clear view of the passing rivers, windmills and at times Power Plants. It may seem dull when I write about it but you don't get bored even for a minute even if you get to see the same fields, trees and hutments for hours. Though I had been advised to catch up on my lost sleep because I had got up at 5 but the journey didn't make me sleepy at all. After all this was the first time I had initiated a rail journey all by myself.
It was on this journey that I realized why Gandhiji always preferred to travel in 3rd Class with the masses. It was because it connected India, not just geographically but also socially. In a train, it really didn't matter to people who was sitting next to them. It hardly matter if it was a Brahmin or a Muslim in that era which was dominated by Casteism and Communalism. He also got to interact with people of different strata's of society and how people thought. Railways were to India then what Tata tea is to India now :P
Coming back to my journey, I had by now entered one of the most developed states of India, Gujarat. It was quite evident from the train because instead of those poverty stricken mud-houses, I could now see pucca houses. The trees which lined the tracks were full of raw mangoes. I knew that somewhere behind those trees was one of the most beautiful village from where my grandfather hailed.
We soon crossed important stations like Navsari, Anand, Vadodara, etc. But more than stations in my journey was food!!! There was something or the other constantly coming in infront of me. It all started with that refreshing cup of coffee, followed by breakfast, then coffee again, soup, lunch and finally dessert. The food wasn't as bad as the newspapers say but it wasn't excellent either.
The train gradually slowed down and when the regular travelers got up, I knew it was the end of my very enjoyable journey and it was time for me to pick up my 5 pieces of luggage with 2 hands(now I wish I was one of those million gods  who have 4-6 hands). The temperature in Ahmedabad was 45 degrees and it was as if I'd entered an Oven from a Refrigerator. I found an auto and bid goodbye to the train who had played the role a host to me for 7 hours. It had taken me through the countryside where India's heart, beauty and diversity lies.
It was then that I realized that though it had taken me longer than a flight but the trip was more than just travelling. It was an experience for me which I would remember all my life. It wasn't just looking at things from the top(more than the things, it is the clouds we see) but I was with the the scenery. I was a part of the whole canvas.
I would suggest everyone that if you have time, you must travel in India by train because it is a unique experience that I feel everyone will rejoice in.


P.S.: I would take this opportunity to pay tribute to my Maternal Grandfather who was a great rail enthusiast. Someone who could bet on railway timings. His love for trains was such that he would take the longest possible railway route to get to his destination. I'm always reminded of the great soul whenever railways are mentioned in front of me.

8 comments:

  1. I love travelling via the railways!
    Hardly get to do so, though. Always end up in a stupid car or plane :/
    You get the real feel of the journey in the train,and find yourself making making conversations with complete strangers, all the while admiring the landscape outside =)
    Interesting and gripping read :D
    But increase the font size please :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Railways have always been great! :)
    And,the way you explained the entire thing was great.
    Great work Vatsal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well described- Way to go Walkie! :)
    Its even better when you possess a seat and ticket in the train, but you end up at the doors, taking in the landscape, flying dust and wind in your hair. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Priyanka: Same here man, I traveled in a train after 6 years man whereas I traveled by plane almost 3-4 times an year! I remember the feeling when I went to drop someone at the station! I just wanted 2 sit on their seat :) And how do I increase the font? I'll republish it with an increased font so plz tell me ASAP.

    @Joyee: Thanks a lot Joyee :)

    @Dipin: I noe man, and if I'm accompanied by sum1 I luv 2 get off at the stations and get on quickly as soon as I hear the horn and see d gaurd waving the green flag. Even after so much technological advancement, these small little ceremonial things make the journey even more interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vatsu, I am really excited after reading your Blogs. Ghar mey Khazana hai aur humko he pata nahi.
    Keep on writing blogs on your tours & experiences.
    your loving Papa

    ReplyDelete
  6. sumptuous ! Superb ! Magnificent !
    article is like WOW !

    though i jst wonder...that u dont like gandhiji that much n still u hav written good abouit him !
    Good u r improving !....
    :D
    :)

    p.s this is the 1st time iv read such a big article with patients...i read the whole THING ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey vats- well written.
    A journey on Indian trains, no doubt, is always full of new and exciting moments.i too prefer travelling by railways.

    you have a special liking towards gandhi ji or what?
    the previos blog also mentioned his name.there's one such paragraph, in which I particularly liked the way you interlinked railways with connecting people of different communities. (nyc thought)

    -Radhika

    ReplyDelete